11.15.2010

IT'S COMING!!!

Only 2 months and 2 days until I can kiss my life goodbye for 19 months!



As most everyone knows, I will be starting nursing school at University of Portland in January. This program is by far my first choice out of all seven schools I applied to this year. UP is a great school with a great reputation and better yet, I get a BSN after 19 months of schooling. Oh wait, even better... I earned a scholarship through Providence which pays my tuition to this pricey school, in return, I will work for Providence at least 3 years after graduation! Although, after being a Providence employee, I can see myself working for Providence for many years to come.

Some things I worry about?
* Not seeing friends because I have no life
* Slacking on keeping a clean house
* Not playing softball with Brian next summer
* Sleep deprivation
* 85 miles round trip driving everyday
* Losing my "adult" life
* Not going to my parent's house in Texas as often as I like
* Finding balance

Some things I am excited about...
* Going into Portland everyday and being close to Starbucks and Target
* FINALLY learning about things that excite me
* Living my dream of becoming Ashleigh McKenzie, BSN
* Making a nurses wage!
* Meeting new friends who have the same goal
* Not having to go through the application process this year!

As for being in; it feels great...but scary! For so many years I have waited and hoped and had disappointment and now? I'm in...I'm not familiar with the next step!

To start off, I've been busy getting the little stuff done...

Shots...Hep B, Swine, Flu, TDAP...you name it, I got it...



Shoes... What's better than all white nursing shoes? All black nursing shoes. Since I knew I needed to get something boring, I went PATENT, hopefully when I am feeling boring, I can look down and see the spice in my shoes!



Scrubs... Two different brand choices, but only one color. WILD GRAPE. Grape, eggplant, purple pleaser are NOT accepted.



Lastly, the badge must be sewn on meticulously! If only I had a picture on my computer of the actual diagram they sent me.


In the end, I am happy to be accepted to a school where everyone looks the same, and looks clean and professional. It sets a good example and always something I strive for. Just a pain when trying to make sure everything is done and bought perfect to UP standards!

5 comments:

Giselle Vollintine said...

SO EXCITING!!!! I am sure it will be difficult at times, but it will totally go by fast- then no more school! Remember, if you are ever too tired to drive all the way to the Gorge sometimes or need a place to relax between classes, you know you can always use my place ;-) We are only 15 minutes away!
Giselle

SmAsher said...

Good to know Giselle...Besides, sometimes it might be nice to have a girls night where we can watch Predator and 300 uninterrupted.

Kylan said...

IT'S JUST SCHOOL. QUIT TRYING TO MAKE IT SOUND DIFFICULT JESUS MARY JUMPING BEJEEZUS!

I wonder how you are going to do all your homework without leaving either the kitchen or the laundry room?

SmAsher said...

Oh Kyle, until you have "LAWYER" in your title, I don't want to hear it. I have a degree just like you. Plus, you better be nice to me, you might need my medical advice one day...McKenzie's have a way with injuring themselves.

Kylan said...

So you've accepted the kitchen/laundry room clauses! That's great! Very retro of you, but Brian will be very happy.